Why do developers hate testing? Simple: who would want to try breaking the code they worked so hard to make? Though developers do unit testing, they generally find it off-putting to perform the entire validation work before making the app available to the market. There’s a certain amount of bias when software developers are the only ones testing the software.
Besides, what developers can’t discover in development, they’re not likely to detect in testing, anyway so why bother? It used to be the trend for developers to carry out the entire quality assurance testing process, but as we’ve found out both from our clients and our own software development team, they don’t quite fit the bill.
Why outsource software testing?
When facing a shortage of skilled app testers and reliable test resources, outsourcing is the best way forward. It gives you the reassurance of having an independent auditor whose main focus is thoroughly testing your app and improving its quality. Outsourcing makes it easier to set up an in-house testing framework as well reducing the risks of software failure affecting the company bottom line.
Choosing the right testing provider
When shopping around for a trustworthy vendor, consider both their reputation and their ability to professionally execute the testing activity. Here are some key questions you need to ask:
- What’s your experience in software testing? A company with a proven track record in the industry is more likely to be continuously raising their standards, which translates to having a long list of past projects and satisfied clients.
- How credible is your testing infrastructure? Your testing partner should be quick to set up enough testers and sufficient tools for the efficient testing of your app. Make them show this instead of telling by doing a preliminary testing session.
- How do you keep clients happy? A partnership-centered vendor can keep long-term contracts. Compared to delivery-centered vendors, client driven ones never deliver hurriedly if it compromises their quality of service. They value their clients and are flexible to modify their testing model to meet project requirements. It might be prudent to ask their past clients about their experience with the vendors you have shortlisted.
- How do you safeguard my IP? It is extremely important to choose a vendor that employs strict security measures to protect your data, brand identity and non-disclosure agreements. If possible, choose one that has a dedicated security team in place.
- How compatible is your production processes with ours? To ensure successful cooperation, choose a testing partner whose policies, management style, technical proficiency and commitment to your project are consistent with your company’s goals and practices.
Deciding between single sourcing and multi-sourcing
Another important consideration in outsourcing app testing is to assess which of these two strategies best meets your needs. This decision is more crucial for companies also outsourcing app development. Single sourcing involves engaging the services of one provider to conduct software development and testing, whereas multi-sourcing involves contracting separate vendors, one specializing in software development, another dedicated to software testing.
We compare these two sourcing models:
|Simplified monitoring; single line of contact; quicker decision cycle||More flexibility; not locked in to one vendor|
|Reduced vendor management cost||Competitive offers from various providers on the basis of price and service|
|Integrating both development and testing functions easier with only one vendor||Non conflicting interest; independent development and testing|
|Closer proximity allows developers and testers to exchange information||Can replace a vendor without affecting contracts with other parties.|
|Locked in to one vendor||Higher expenses related to multiple vendor management cost|
|Potential conflict of interest between developing and testing the same system||Extra work associated in managing two providers|
|Lack of competition; unlikely to deliver the best business value||Problems in communication due to additional distance between the developer and testing teams|
|Risk of major disruption: Problems with vendor likely to cause more cost and delay of overall process.||Time and resources spent on resolving issues across different vendors|
To sum up, you can measure the benefits of outsourcing your app testing process along 4 major considerations: picking an experienced testing partner, level of independence between developers and Qualtity Assurance testers, cost of outsourced software testing services, and mitigating risks associated with either single sourcing or multi-sourcing.
If you’re looking for a best-in-breed testing partner, we at Get[Devs] can provide you with skilled software testing specialists. We employ best practices to ensure you get excellent testing solutions. What’s more, we can also be your single source for offshore development and offshore software testing. We can help you set up independent development and testing teams to produce your apps and software.